[VMWare] was Re: The pest again

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 22 17:03:34 UTC 2008

On 07/22/2008 07:21 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 23:01 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> No can do - if they're OEM installs they aren't going to work under
>>> VMWare raw-disk anyway.  I know - I've been there, done that.
>>
>> Curious: what's the difference between an OEM install and another one
>> that makes this fail?
>
> Sorry, I really should have been more precise.  It shouldn't "fail" - it's
> just that you get 30 days, and then Windows (XP at least) stops working.
> It should actually be possible with a Win98 SE install.  With Vista you
> won't even get 30 days.

I'm going to give this another go later today. But according to the link
that Leif provided:

<http://www.venturecake.com/a-simple-guide-to-using-your-existing-windows-install-apps-in-ubuntu/>
down in the comments:

<quote>
Matt Farley
July 9th, 2007 13:04

I’ve been running this setup for a few months, but I’ve always been
annoyed by the fact that each time I switch between booting in the VM
versus booting natively, Windows needs to phone home to Microsoft to
reactivate itself.

I’m worried I’ll eventually run out of activations.

Ed:Check meb’s suggestion below.
 .
 .
 .
meb
July 9th, 2007 13:56

If you are worried about activation, you can try adding this to the vmx
file:

SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE
</quote>

Multiple other useful comments there as well - including using ide
instead of scsi. That could be the problem that I had yesterday - I
configured for scsi because I actually have a scsi controller in this
machine, but the hard drives are ide, and I'm trying to mount a physical
disk rather than a partition.
[http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?language=en_US&externalId=36]