Scanner problems xsane

gordonsmall User gordonsmall at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 22 14:47:56 UTC 2008

I am new to the Ubuntu world, and am gradually working my way thru the
various applications. I have run into a problem using my scanner. The
computer is a AMD 64 bit system (3800) with 1 gig of RAM and plenty of
storage.

When I turn on the scanner, a small dialog box opens up with the heading
xsane 0.995 - Identifies scanner. In a moment or two, I am presented
with a choice of two devices, one of them being my Epson 2450 scanner. I
select that scanner. After a minute or two I get the following message:

Failure to obtain value of option monitor button: error during drive
I/O.

Just for the heck of it, I continue on, and the application opens up
with the acquire button active. I scan a document, but it does not look
quite right, and when I click on the enable color preference, I get a
message saying : error during CMS conversion. Could not open scanner ICM
profile. About this time I have to force the application to quit. BTW,
it will scan a b&w document, but I can't do much with it once it is
scanned.

I have found a couple of things to try in the forums and Ubuntu pages.
One was to add myself to the scanner group, which I did.  The other was
to use the Synaptic manager to add the libsane - extras file which I had
already done.  None of these have changed the outcome.

BTW, I am presented with two choices when Xsane identifies the scanner -
the other being Epson -GT-9700.  If I select that (tho it is not my
scanner), everything opens much more quickly, but it still comes to the
same conclusion - could not open ICM profile.

I am trying to make the conversion from Windows to Ubuntu, and have been
very impressed with many of the features. Unfortunately, I use my
scanner a lot, and moving back and forth between Windows and Ubuntu is
not the best use of time.  If any suggestions on how to fix the problems
involve the use of the Command Line, please spell out exactly what  to
do, as I have practically no experience with Linux.

Gordon Small