Accessing Windows XP programs in Ubuntu (was Re: The pest again)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 21 01:22:02 UTC 2008

On 07/20/2008 05:49 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>> > Sigh. I wish it were just a game.  I have a CD full of printed
>> > works that I like to refer to on an ongoing basis.  Should I use
>> > Wine to re-install the app?
>>
>> That can be done, but may not be necessary. The drive that contains
>> your WinXP will need to be mounted in /etc/fstab to make it visible to
>> Ubuntu. I have an NTFS partition on one of the drives on my Ubuntu
>> box. With both read and write enabled you could then also update them
>> from the Ubuntu side. What format(s) are they in?
>>

> It's a proprietary format -- the app is called GospeLink.  It's a
> Mormon-based information center with access to hundreds of printed
> works, and just invaluable.

I'm curious; the http://gospelink.com/ appears to be a web application
so it should work with one of the top three/four browsers. If you are
working on FamilySearch Indexing
(http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/home/home.jsf?pname=homeTab)
Then you can use Windows, Mac, or Linux:
http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/gettingstarted/computer_req.jsf

So perhaps if you can explain just exactly what it is you are having
problems with, someone may be able to assist. Also, I'm sure that if you
check the forums for that site you might find that someone has already
provided a solution. You might also want to check out some of the links on:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linix+%2BGospeLink>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=GospeLink+%2Blinux>

BTW: If you are into genealogy GRAMPS is in the repositories and does a
fine job: http://gramps-project.org/