The pest again

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Mon Jul 21 00:10:41 UTC 2008

Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 12:01 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
>> On Sunday 20 July 2008 11:01:44 am Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>>> I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine.  It appears
>>> in my Applications drop-down menu.
>>>
>>> When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C:\ drive" and it gives me
>>> only two folders -- Program Files and Windows.  Under Program
>>> Files I should have hundreds of folders, Common Files and
>>> Internet Explorer.  There's no starting point for running a
>>> WinXP program.
>>>
>>> Am I doing something wrong?  I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu
>>>  with the gnome desktop.  Thanks again.
>> Lets see, you are in windoze running Ubuntu (Wubi runs Ubuntu in
>> a windows file), which you inturn are setting up to run windoze?
>> The long way around the house!  Actually WINE works best for
>> running just a windoze app, you know, that game you can't live
>> without which won't run on anything but windoze?  You are not
>> running a whole windoze installation with WINE; just enough to
>> run the app is all.
>>

> Sigh. I wish it were just a game.  I have a CD full of printed
> works that I like to refer to on an ongoing basis.  Should I use
> Wine to re-install the app?

That can be done, but may not be necessary. The drive that contains
your WinXP will need to be mounted in /etc/fstab to make it visible to
Ubuntu. I have an NTFS partition on one of the drives on my Ubuntu
box. With both read and write enabled you could then also update them
from the Ubuntu side. What format(s) are they in?

> I'm old enough to know that, if you're dumb about things, as I am,
> you may as well ask...<grin>

LOL! You're in the right place. And the only dumb thing would be to
suffer in silence, or to give up and go back to Windows not knowing
any better.
NP: nothing