transcode FLV (YouTube flash) to MP4 (ISO MPEG v4)

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 23:38:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Sven <aluoor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I seems to me Tovid is only for disc authoring (disc readable by most
> DVD players). Not a general purpose transcoder.

Yeah. I thought it might help with more general conversion but it
doesn't appear to be the right tool for the job. Not that it's a bad
tool, I use it all the time to make dvd's - even ones with fancy
animated submenus and such :).

In fact, I'll probably get the same results as you shortly, which is
an mpeg2 file with a file name ending in .mp4. Tovid didn't even look
to see what the desired output file type was, but it could have, I
suppose - but then it's tailored to spit out stuff a DVD player will
accept. You could probably feed tovid some options to send to ffmpeg,
but then you're better off using ffmpeg in the first place, which is
designed to be a general purpose encoder.

> How to do it with ffmpeg?

This part is easy. ffmpeg -i  file.flv file.mp4. It is fairly
straightforward but there's a slew of options to do other things.

I haven't tried using transcode directly in quite a while.