Is it a bug?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 20 16:33:02 UTC 2008

On 07/20/2008 12:20 AM, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 07:38:38 +0200
> Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 13:10 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> >
>> > Then go to: /home/<user>/.Trash
>>
>> This doesn't seem to exist for me anymore since the switch to gvfs in
>> 8.04. I have the trash now in  /home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/
>> Not sure whether I am the only one.
>
> $ ls ~/.local/share/Trash/
> files  info
>
> The directory is only created on first using "Trash" , apparently.
> Since I always use "rm" or the "Delete" option. it didn't exist here
> until a minute ago, when I deliberately sent something to the "Trash".
>
> (Hardy - evidently this has changed)

Apparently so. I was using Gutsy when I posted that. Now I see the
/home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/ entry on Hardy. Interestingly, the way
that found the entry in Gutsy was by going to trash via Nautilus, then
doing a 'locate <filename>' and it found it. In Hardy, locate doesn't
find the file in the trash (/home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/) folder, it
instead finds where it was. For example, I moved the following file to
trash: Protractor1GG2Example.pdf from /home/gg-laptop/tempdir/
On Hardy, if I do a locate, it finds:

~$ locate Protractor1GG2Example.pdf
/home/gg-laptop/tempdir/Protractor1GG2Example.pdf

But if I do:
$ ls /home/gg-laptop/.local/share/Trash/files
Protractor1GG2Example.pdf
the file is there.

Another interesting thing; if I search for the file via Tracker or
Nautilus, the file is not found. However, if I search for the file using
Places|Search the file is found.

Seems to be pretty buggy overall. Note: I just use delete rather than
move to trash most of the time, so this is the first time that I've
messed with it in Hardy.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/baobab/+bug/209338
[ [Hardy] Move To Trash broken with new gnome-vfs]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libtrash/+bug/208277
[ trash can does not empty]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/baobab