Applications Menu items: how to make them run a script ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Jul 20 10:03:49 UTC 2008

Hi list,

Little problem here...

I just bought X-Plane, and added a menu entry for it in the
Applications menu in the Game category... simple enough, works fine.

However, I quickly realised that the hat switch on the joystick didn't
work, well known problem I found out, well known solution too: run a
program called "jhat" before starting X-Plane, then kill jhat afterward.

So now instead of running X-Plane directly, I must run a script that
starts jhat, then only X-Plane, then kills jhat.

The script works just fine when I start it manually from the command
line in a terminal window, from the directory it's in.

However, when I updated the menu entry to start the script instead of
the X-Plane executable, well nothing happens !

Old menu entry (works):

"/home/vincent/X-Plane/X-Plane-i686"

new entry (doens't work, fails silently):

"/home/vincent/X-Plane/xplane.sh"

Anyone managed to run a script from the Applications menu, what's the
trick ?! :-)

--
Vince