Same installation problem over and over again.

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Sun Jul 20 00:57:57 UTC 2008

elmo wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> elmo wrote:

>>> I disagree that the instructions are simple to follow. Look at it the
>>> way a Window user would or anyone who has never had to create a UBUNTU
>>> CD. At first reading, they may appear simple but they are misleading.
>>>
>>> QUOTE: "Ubuntu is distributed over the Internet as CD image files,
>>> called ISOs. To install Ubuntu, you first need to burn its ISO file
>>> onto a CD"
>>>
>>> This is the exact wording from that website.
>>>
>>> OK, so we look in our CD burner for a way to burn the ISO to a CD.
>>> Instead, we find something that will burn an IMAGE, not an ISO.
>>> Oops, wrong one?????
>>>
>> Well, you quote only the first few words of the page. The instructions how
>> to burn the CD follows after that part. Granted, there is no word how to
>> do it with Nero, but if you follow the instructions it should work. If
>> you use another program than suggested by the instructions (i.e. Nero for
>> you) you may find out yourself how to do it with that particular program.
>> But if you can't find out how to do it with that other program, better
>> follow the given instructions and don't insist on using something else.
>> Of course the alternative option would be to write instructions for Nero
>> and have those included to the existing instructions.
>>

>>> Since Nero is the CD/DVD burner many Windows machines have, my comments
>>> use Nero as an example. I know there are other burners available for
>>> Windows and I'll bet none of them will burn an ISO to a CD but they can
>>> burn the IMAGE.
>>>
>> It seems that you think there is a difference between an image file and an
>> iso file, but they are the same. If you think that is worng, please
>> explain what you think is the difference between the two. And are there
>> two different commands in Nero to burn an image or an ISO file? Sorry, I
>> don't have Nero, so I can't check it myself.
>>

>>> The process basically involves two things, extracting
>>> the files from ISO and simultaneously burning them as IMAGE.
>>>
>> No, you may not extract anything from an ISO image to make it a working
>> bootable CD.
>>

>>> This is largely a semantics problem. Wrong choice of words, using ISO
>>> and IMAGE interchangeably.
>>>
>> The words image and ISO are actually interchangeable here. Maybe there is
>> an additional / different meaning for one of the words in the Windows
>> world, but then I have no idea, what the difference might be.
>>
> In any world, the difference is ISO contains only a single file that
> requires extraction to create an IMAGE that contains several files.
> The ISO isn't usable in its original form, it must be converted to IMAGE.
>
> Are you saying that it's OK to skip IMAGE and just make an ISO disk?
> ISO and IMAGE may both contain the same information but they are in two
> entirely different
> forms.  ISO has only a single file whereas IMAGE consists of several
> files that are extracted from
> [...]

Elmo, maybe you should read these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

I know, I know. Wikipedia isn't the master reference we think it is. But
who wants to sift through a bunch of whitepapers to argue symantics.

We use the verb 'to image' to describe the act of creating an image file
from optical media. Whether that file is .iso, .bin or any of the
proprietary formats. They all are called image files. The difference
between the formats is only the type of metadata that stores information
regarding the disk's attributes, ie. bootable.

Dave