Bizarre problems in Hardy - system broke fsck this AM, no nvidia anymore

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 00:29:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM, David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like nvidia is still a no go. I have kde 4.1 running but only
> with the nv driver, and I can't get any opengl programs to work -

Back using the nvidia driver. However, I had a whole boatload of
problems trying to get the nvidia driver 169.12 reinstalled
(nvidia-new-kernel-source, nvidia-glx, nvidia-common) so I gave up and
ran the shell script to install 173.xx from nvidia's site.

Oh well, it's working now (in Gnome) even with compiz.

:)

On the other hand, the nvidia kernel does not autoload on boot, and so
the first try to get into X fails, using the nvidia driver. I have to
drill down to where nvidia.ko lies, manually do an insmod nvidia.ko as
root, and then startx, which gets me in gnome, not kde4.1 since my
default display manager isn't running at the moment.

As long as I don't reboot, or don't have to :) then this should be OK
for now. :)

I'm still working on the debsums audit. I managed to get most
everything I thought should be reinstalled (I also ran across another
post on the ML saying you could use aptitude to reinstall everything
without having to reinstall, but I thought I didn't have enough disk
space in my 10 gig root partition (1 gig or so full) to try that just
yet. So I've spent the better part of a day trying to get this fixed.
I might have been better off reinstalling the system, but what the
hell, that probably would have taken longer.

So far I can post what's left to fix debsums-wise as an attachment as
well as an strace when I couldn't modprobe nvidia.