Is it a bug?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 19 20:10:31 UTC 2008

On 07/17/2008 09:59 AM, carmac at dfn.if.usp.br wrote:
> Hello,
>     I deleted two big files (about 2.5GB each) with restricted permission. Now I
> cannot empty the trash: it says permission denied. I cannot change the
> permission 'cause it says "cannot change permission on background"... I tried
> many different ways: put them back to Desktop, change permission and delet...
> It not works: the situation is the same.
>                   If someone can help me I'll be very gratefull.

Alt-F2|gksu nautilus
[that will get you into a root-type version of Nautilus]

Then go to: /home/<user>/.Trash
and you should be able to delete the file(s) or modify the permissions.
Note: in Nautilus you will need to turn on the delete option first:
Edit|Preferences|Behaviour|Trash|Include a Delete...

You can also delete the file from the command line:

cd /home/<user>/.Trash
sudo rm <filename>