sdb1???

Leif Gregory ldgregory69 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 13:43:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:09:31 +0200
Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> You don't have sdb1 now, but once upon a time you had it for whatever
> reason. You didn't tell us what device is connected as sdc - it is
> probably an external disk connected via USB or firewire.
>
> Now, this is speculation, but it happened to me with a USB stick: The
> device which is now sdc was sdb previously. There was a file open on
> sdb1 when it was unplugged. Then when you plugged it in again, the
> device name sdb was still in use due to the open file. Therefore the
> kernel assigned it the new device name sdc. And the "Buffer I/O error
> on device sdb1" message was logged while the disk was still connected
> the first time, i.e. with the device name sdb1.

The only other drive connected at the time was a 200GB external USB
HDD. It shouldn't have had any files open (at least none I opened and
why I didn't mention it) as it's only purpose in life is as a backup
drive. I kick off the backup script usually on Sunday nights before I
go to bed.

I do usually connect it to the laptop when it's sitting on my desk just
because, but I don't normally do anything with it.

However, yesterday when this happened, I had disconnected the laptop
for a little while to do some stuff elsewhere, then reconnected it
about an hour later.

So I can see where your explanation is plausible. Something on that
drive must have gotten opened somewhere along the line.

Thanks.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry:  http://powerwagonregistry.org