Annoying behavious of Nautilus when drag+drop as link

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 18 06:28:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 06:05:28 +0200
"Johnny Rosenberg" <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:

> When, in Nautilus, I drag a file from one map to another and press
> Ctrl+Shift when releasing the mouse button, a link will be created in the
> destination folder, but the really annoying thing is that the destination
> link will be called something like "Link to Myfile.xxx"

I had never noticed this, since I usually make links with "ln -s" - it
really *is* annoying, isn't it? Not to mention stupid, since among other
things it introduces spaces into the link name... which means more
work/attention if writing scripts etc.

I know that you specified nautilus, but you might consider using a
different file manager for this task. I use the Rox filer:

sudo apt-get install rox-filer

On drag-and-drop, rox offers to make a link, copy or move (you get a
little menu to choose from), and it doesn't do this sort of silly stuff
- it just gives you a symlink as $DEITY intended :)

Rox is quite small, fast, and configurable, and its help file is
actually helpful ( *gasp* ). As far as I can see it does not create a
menu entry, but you can of course create your own with the menu editor,
or make a custom launcher for it.

You can change the default blue Rox "folder" icons under right-click ->
Options -> Types ( choose "human" or whatever suits you ) There are
lots of other options, but that's more than you asked for anyway :)

Worth exploring - I have used rox for years now when needing a
graphical file manager, and hardly ever use Nautilus any more...

If you want to create a lot of links graphically, this might be a
solution for you.

--
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au>