Hello Friends

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 21:19:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:01:55 -0500
Ulin the Tech Mage <ulinthetechmage at hit-techs.com> wrote:

UTTM> if he did not shutdown windows properly, linux might not be able
UTTM> to read it. NTFS is weird about that.  i had meant
UTTM> /proc/partitions
UTTM>

Ironically, the other day a colleague had an Ntfs harddrive that was
starting to fail, and which had been incorrectly unmounted owing to an
M/board fault on his XP box, and the only way we were able to read it
was by mounting it on a ppc Mac running kubuntu.

The trick to get it to mount is to use:

sudo mount -o force -t ntfs <device> <mountpoint>

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |