new guy checking in

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Thu Jul 17 17:04:46 UTC 2008

Jimmy Montague wrote:
> Hi all. I'm new here. I'm new to Ubuntu and almost new to Linux.
> I've had dual-boot systems up and running several times in the
> past. I'm back again only because I've discovered that OO will
> import my WordPerfect files, and WordPerfect was the one thing that
> kept me glued to Mr. Bill. Now I can bring my past life with me,
> I've decided to go with Linux exclusively and wean myself from Mr.
> Bill in the process.
>
> I was a DOS user in the days when DOS was all there was. I used
> MS-DOS 3.1, 4.5 and 5. Then I changed to DR-DOS 6 but shortly
> thereafter saw I'd have to give it up. I installed Windows 3.1 in
> 1994 and have used every version since -- until Vista. I never
> installed Vista and I never will and I'll never pay $500 for an OS
> if I live to be 110 -- and I won't. If it hadn't been for my
> WordPerfect habit I would have switched long ago. I kept waiting,
> hoping Corel would see the light and give me a real Linux version
> of WP, but they never did and they never will. Now OO will do the
> chores, I'll go with OO.
>
> Right now I need some help with hdd administration. My system has 3
>  hdds: I have two 80-gig ide Western Digitals. One is Master on the
>  primary strap; the other is Master on the secondary strap. The
> third drive is an 80-gig Maxtor mounted externally via USB.
>
> Ubuntu formatted the WD on the primary strap. It is hda. Ubuntu did
> NOT format either of the other two drives. The master on the
> secondary strap is still formatted NTFS. So is the Maxtor. I want
> EVERYTHING formatted Linux, in whatever fashion you guys think is
> best.
>
> How can I do that?

I presume that you're running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 (rather than Kubuntu
or Xubuntu). And I presume that you've already got anything that you
wanted off the two NTFS drives. :-)

I'm very partial to GParted. A very good tool much like Partition
Magic under Windows that you might want to have in your bag of tricks.

Go here to download the CD ISO image (0.3.7.7):
<http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php>

Reboot with it in place and use it to delete the partitions on the two
NTFS drives and replace them with whatever you're using for Ubuntu,
which is probably ext3 (the default).

HTH...and welcome aboard.
NP: nothing