help with install on Seagate FreeAgent USB drive

elmo elmo at ne.rr.com
Wed Jul 16 15:55:32 UTC 2008

> I downloaded the Ubantu image, put it on a CD and It wants to install on my C drive.

This is a critical step that can be confusing.

First, You didn't download the Ubuntu IMAGE, you downloaded an ISO file
which is a compressed version of the IMAGE. ISO is a single file made up
of several IMAGE files. These IMAGE files need to be extracted from the
ISO file and burned onto a CD.

If you did the download with Windows and have a CD/DVD burner like Nero
available, take look in the burner for something that burns an IMAGE.
This will simultaneously extract the files from ISO and burn them onto
the disk as the IMAGE.

Now you can proceed with the installation or simply run the disk without
installing.