PROBLEMS WITH INSTALLATION

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 16 01:33:39 UTC 2008

On 07/09/2008 04:46 PM, Bruno Contigiani wrote:
> Buenos Aires, July 9th, 2008
>
> Gentlemen:
>
> I have installed the Ubuntu 7.04 operating system in my computer, a
> Pentium 4 dual-core, without any problem, it works very well.
>
> But unfortunately I can't install any program in it, because every
> time that I try to install some application using the "Add and Remove
> applications" program, always the following sign appears:
>
> " (Name of application) cannot be installed in an equipment like
> yours (i386). Either the application requires special hardware
> functions, or the vendor decided not to support the equipments with
> caracteristics like yours"
>
> I searched in the forums in Internet, and there I saw that many other
> people have the same problem, and it seems there is no practical
> solution to this problem, that makes the operating system almost
> useless.

Do you have a link to any of those forums that list this problem? If so
it might be helpful for others to help you figure out your problem.

Be aware that your 7.04 version (Feisty Fawn) is quite out of date. Do
you mean 8.04 instead?

Also it will be helpful if you can tell us exactly the name of the iso
file that you used to burn the installation CD with. I am wondering if
you actually managed to install the 64bit version on a 32bit machine.