24 hour clock in Evolution

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 15 20:29:02 UTC 2008

On 07/14/2008 07:14 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Cools stuff! As always, thanks sktsee!!
>
> Note to Rick: hang on a day or so & I'll leave this setting on the test
> machine to see if it has any ill/odd effects on any other applications.
> I doubt that it will, but given your system keyboard/language issues
> etc., it's probably better if you let me check it out first... unless of
> course you're willing to give it a try before then.
>
> Thanks again sktsee.

OK. I've been running the LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8 on my system and so far no
problems at all with the applications I've tested.

Evolution: shows 24 hour in email list and calendar + dd/mm/yyyy
SeaMonkey: shows 24 hour and dd/mm/yyyy
Thunderbird: same as SeaMonkey
Sunbird (Mozilla): shows 24 hour and dd/mm/yyyy
Lightning (Mozilla): shows 24 hour and dd/mm/yyyy
OpenOffice (both OOo and Ubuntu): clock/date settings didn't change
StarOffice: clock/date settings didn't change
Clock 2.22.2: No change - this will continue to use whatever time you've
set it for.

Note: OOo and SO have their own settings in options that allow you to
change the locale by language, so it's not an issue here. Just thought
that I'd add those to the tested list so that you know what to expect.

So there you go Rick. Follow sktsee's instructions to set the LC_TIME to
LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8; from a terminal enter:

sudo update-locale LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8

Logout and then log back in and you should be good to go.

Added note: the settings will take effect for _all_ system users, so if
your wife also has an account on the system her date/time settings will
be the same.