Need help setting up cron

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:43:48 UTC 2008

I'm currently running Ubuntu Server 8.04, and I am having difficulty
getting the cron program to work.

First, I tried adding the following to /etc/crontab:

30 12 * * * root /my/script/file

For testing, I put in an hour & minute that was about 2 minutes ahead
of the current time so I could see if it worked. First of all, I was
not able to find a log file *anywhere* to tell me if the task was run
or not. Secondly, the script in question created a set of directories,
so I checked to see if those directories were created in order to
verify if the script was run. However, I did not find the directories,
which leads me to believe the script was not executed.

I did a little more research on google and I tried doing "crontab -e"
and putting the entry there, however it still did not work.

I'm not sure what to do & google has failed me. I cannot find any
reason why this isn't working.