hash sum mismatch when trying to upgrade

Michael P. Varre mvarre at kishmish.com
Mon Jul 14 14:47:59 UTC 2008

Hello everyone.  I'm trying to upgrade from 6.06 to 8.04 and I keep getting:

http://en.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-backports/multiverse/source/Sources.bz2

Hash Sum mismatch

, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or

old ones used instead.

Getting a bunch of these when trying to run do-release-upgrade -d.  Last week when I did a test run of the update on a dev machine it was working fine, now nothing.  I am getting the same results on all my machines that I'm trying it on now.  I've tried to wipe out /var/lib/apt/lists/ like some lists had suggested, I've tried normal updates, I've tried cleaning and -fix-missing to no avail.  Been trying for the last 24 hours.

Is this a problem with the mirrors or did something magically go wrong on all my 6.06 ubuntu machines?

Thanks!