hardy, and usb drives, does anyone have one that works?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Jul 14 04:58:11 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Jim Smith wrote:
> > steve wrote:
> >> I have 2 usb hard drives sitting collecting dust because I cannot
> >> figure out how to read and write to them.  1 is 80 gig seagate, and
> >> the other is 160 gig fantom.  Both HAVE worked on ubuntu in the
> >> past, from 5.x right up through gutsy.
>
>     Since nothing seems to work here is a sure fire method I had to use
> once.

[snipped procedure to repartition and format]

Karl,

in the text you quoted, Steve wrote that it worked until Gutsy. There is
no reason to believe it would help to repartition and format the drives.
Furthermore it would have been nice to point out that your procedure will
wipe out any data still on the drives.

Nils