hardy, and usb drives, does anyone have one that works?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jul 13 22:59:29 UTC 2008

Jim Smith wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>> I have 2 usb hard drives sitting collecting dust because I cannot figure
>> out how to read and write to them.  1 is 80 gig seagate, and the other
>> is 160 gig fantom.  Both HAVE worked on ubuntu in the past, from 5.x
>> right up through gutsy.
    Since nothing seems to work here is a sure fire method I had to use
once.

    Take both hard drives out of the boxes and connect them to your
computer together or one by one. Boot up and find the new drive. Now in
a terminal do this $ sudo fdisk-l and it will show you all the hard
drives and their partitions and what type they are.

    For instance lets just say the hard drive is /dev/sdb and now we
need to give it a new type. Now use $sudo fdisk /dev/sdb and this will
show you all the partitions on /dev/sdb and let you change them.

    First remove all the partitions. Now make a new linux partition that
uses all of the hard drive. When done and if your not mounted do this $
sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1 and that will be all you need to do.

    Do the same for both hard drives and they will work with all
versions of Ubuntu.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI