atl1, hardy, more than 4GB of RAM

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) mihamina.rakotomandimby at etu.univ-orleans.fr
Sun Jul 13 18:52:04 UTC 2008

Hi,
I have an Asus motherboard shipping an Attlansic (atl1 module) on board
network card interface.
It's a brand new computer I put on my LAN in order to be a file server.
I noticed some network hangs and even system freezes after the beginning
of heavy network file transferts (via FTP, NFS and SSH).
I have other boxes on the LAN and tested the trasnfert with them, no
problems: the problen is really the card with the "atl1" module.

Searching on Google, I saw:
http://atl1.sourceforge.net/, saying:
   KNOWN BUGS/PROBLEMS

   1. [...]

   2. There is a bug in the atl1 driver that results in a kernel hang or
   crash (oops) under heavy network load IF AND ONLY IF you have 4GB or
   more RAM in your system. This happens because of an L1 hardware design
   issue that is exposed by the atl1 driver. If you encounter this
   problem, modify your kernel's boot line and add this kernel parameter:
   mem=3900M. A fix was added to the 2.6.23 kernel.

My system has 8GB of RAM, amd64 architecture and system (AMD Phenom
Quad), and as a file server, it has a heavy network load (7 XDMCP'd
workstations)

The quote mentions the bug is solved in the 2.6.23 and hardy (my system)
is running 2.6.24.

Have you got any information about that? Didn't the Ubuntu 2.6.24
include the solution of the problem?