Copying A Disk

Jason Crain jason at bluetree.ath.cx
Sat Jul 12 19:37:12 UTC 2008

Pete Holsberg wrote:
> Brian McKee has written on 7/12/2008 2:19 PM:
>
>> As a *last resort*  - and don't expect it to work - Sometimes
>> (have I put enough qualifiers in here yet?)
>>
>> put the harddrive in a ziplock bag with as little air as possible.
>> Stick it in the freezer for at least a couple hours so it's completely
>> cold-soaked.
>>
> Thanks. The drive which is not in any enclosure of any kind is cool to
> the tough after being powered on all night
It's not really a question of overheating.  Sometimes the disk can fail
because of "stiction," where the disk read head becomes stuck to the
disk.  Freezing can sometimes unstick it by making the metal parts
shrink slightly.

You can also try hitting it gently; the shock may free stuck parts.

Is the hard drive making any noise when it turns on?