Copying A Disk

Pete Holsberg pjh42 at pobox.com
Sat Jul 12 01:27:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:38:30 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Pete Holsberg wrote:

>>> I believe that should be "dd conv=noerror", note the 'conv=' bit in
>>> front of 'noerror'.  Also, in modern systems it's often /dev/sdX
>>> instead of /dev/hdX.

>>> Use lshal (or the graphical device manager) and search for your disk.
>>> For example, a 120 GB Hitachi disk is shown on my laptop as
>>>
>>>   udi =
>>>   '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/
>>>
>> storage_serial_1ATA_HITACHI_HTS541612J9SA00_SB2D51EVG60DLE'
>>
>>>     block.device = '/dev/sda'  (string)
>>>     info.product = 'HITACHI HTS54161'  (string) ... storage.size =
>>>     120034123776  (0x1bf2976000)  (uint64) ...
>>>
>>> The manufacturer, model, serial number and size help you identify the
>>> disk, and block.device shows you how to access it.
>>>

>> Where would a USB drive appear?
>>

>     First read man dd. You can't copy from a partition and to a file.
> This will not work. You say you want to copy a disk. How big is the
> disk? Does it run? How do you connect to it? How many partitions are on
> the disk? Why does Windows not see this disk?
>
>     You need to have another disk to copy to.

Let me start at the beginning.

My stepson's Dell laptop's HD suffered a failure, probably a head crash,
and would no longer boot.

I removed it and connected to my Windows XP machine  via a SATA/USB
external adapter cable.

XP recognized it and allowed me to copy files. At one point, it hung and
started giving me paging errors.

My Vista machine didn't like it at all, and knocked out the USB
controller. Rebooting brought it back.

A SUSE guy on a Windows mailing list suggested connecting it to my Linux
camputer.

Now, you're up to date.

Goal: salvage as many files as I can.