Unknown use of F9 key

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jul 11 21:25:14 UTC 2008

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 11.07.2008, 14:40 -0600 schrieb Karl Larsen:
>
>>> compiz comes with ubuntu. if you go into appearance > and visual effects
>>> you will see 3 options: none, normal and extra. if either of the second
>>> 2 are selected, compiz is enabled
>>>

>>     Interesting! I did try both 2 and 3 on this nVidia computer and it
>> would not support either. It would not make a desktop and it was hard to
>> get back to none again :-)
>>
>>     Why would a nVidia VGA device have trouble with compiz I wonder? I
>> wonder is there a way to test compiz for suitability on a particular
>> computer? I will try it on my laptop and see if it works there.
>>
> thats something only nvidia can answer, the driver is closed source and
> does not support the composite extension, which is the needed part on
> Xog's side for compiz to work ... due to the source code not being
> publically available nobody but nvidia could fix that ... but they dont
> (if it was public i bet you would see a patch to fix it within less than
> a day)
>
> ciao
> 	oli

    I did the tests and the results were interesting. On this computer
with nVidia it allows me to set it for Extra and it will reboot into the
Extra mode. But what happens is an old problem that is not one now comes
back. As soon as I turn on firefox to a busy page the screen changes to
a odd pattern of 45 degree lines. This also kills the mouse and the
keyboard. The only way back to normal use is to turn off power, and then
reboot and quickly change back to no effects.

    My laptop has an ATI VGA device and it will not even let me set up
for Extra. It fools around and then says it cannot set this mode.

    So you must do something else to get compiz working. What is it I
wonder?

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI