Unknown use of F9 key

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jul 11 20:40:15 UTC 2008

Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 12:54 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:

>>> its a compiz thing
>>>

>>     Not in my case. I have not d/l compiz. But I did this:
>>
>> karl at karl-hardy:~$ locate compiz
>> /etc/compizconfig
>> /etc/compizconfig/config
>> /etc/xdg/compiz
>> /etc/xdg/compiz/compiz-manager
>> /home/karl/.config/compiz
>> /home/karl/.config/compiz/compizconfig
>> /home/karl/.config/compiz/compizconfig/config
>> /home/karl/.gconf/apps/compiz
>>
>> It is a hundred things not this short list.
>>
>>     So I do have compiz and why is this the case? I can't think of a
>> reason why I want compiz.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> 	Linux User
>> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>    PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C  ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

> compiz comes with ubuntu. if you go into appearance > and visual effects
> you will see 3 options: none, normal and extra. if either of the second
> 2 are selected, compiz is enabled

    Interesting! I did try both 2 and 3 on this nVidia computer and it
would not support either. It would not make a desktop and it was hard to
get back to none again :-)

    Why would a nVidia VGA device have trouble with compiz I wonder? I
wonder is there a way to test compiz for suitability on a particular
computer? I will try it on my laptop and see if it works there.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User