Accessing Windows Shared Folders

John Toliver john.toliver at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 19:08:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 16:28 -0500, Lynn Ziegler wrote:
> I have exactly tlhe same problem. 7.10 worked perfectly, 8.04 will not
> connect to my shares at all. (My shares were without user/password
> under 7.10 and worked fine.) In fact, when I boot 7.10 from the DVD
> the shares work fine from there too, but will not work from 8.04.
I spent about a week off and on working with this problem.  I didn't
really find a solution to the problem in nautilus though.  What I found
worked was "fusesmb".  It worked flawlessly in Hardy. All my shares came
up immediately.

In short it seems to be a great work-around until nautilus/samba is
revised/fixed.  Do the following:

1. Install fusesmb if you don't already have it.
2. "sudo mkdir/media/network/whatever-you-want-to-call-the-folder.
(make it easy on yourself and use short all lowercase names)
3. "fusesmb /media/network/name-of-folder-you-created-in-two"
4. Now go to "Computer" and you should see a mounted directory of the
exact same name you gave in step 2.  All files will be useable etc.

You might need to sudo your fusesmb command... (still working out some
of the details). You don't need to do step 2 if you simply want the
network folder to display the contents of you network.

Note that the shares are mounted so the system thinks they are locally
mounted directories.  Your networked computers will come up as
directories.  The system will treat them as such so you might want to
disable things like previewing of local files as well as it will take
longer for directories to display.

You will have to stop using the Nautilus icon for the network and use
the one fusesmb created as I've found, trying to connect using both
causes Nautilus to slow down while the internal command fails as we've
noted earlier.

One question I have is if it's possible then to disable the nautilus
pointer to the network until its fixed.  So that it doesn't come up in
the sidebar or Computer area?

Hope this helps.

Also I don't remember if it was posted, but here is the conversation in
launchpad for this bug which turns out not to be a bug at all but an
ENHANCEMENT to Hardy...go figure :-)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/208531

I've discovered the key to success is to never give up.  You either
learn the right way, or you run out of ways to do it wrong.  A win/win
situation!