Unknown use of F9 key

Kim Goldenberg kgoldenberg at oit.state.nj.us
Fri Jul 11 15:24:46 UTC 2008

I'm not sure what has attached itself to the F9 key, but whenever I
press it the whole desktop goes dim, and only comes back if I press
another F-key or click with the mouse. As I have several applications
that use the F9 key, this has become an annoyance. I suspect that it was
something that was either installed, then removed or something updated.
I also suspect it was set as a key and the action program no longer
exists, but the software to call it still traps the key press.
Fortunately for some things Shift-F9 works for many of them, but it is
hard to retrain my fingers, and I would like to fix this.

I am looking for suggestions on how to debug this, more than actual
fixes, but will take anything people can suggest.

Running Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64, up to date Intel core-duo processor, 2GB memory.

TIA

Kim