xfs home directory went south

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 11 12:46:31 UTC 2008

hi,
Am Freitag, den 11.07.2008, 06:26 -0600 schrieb Karl Larsen:
> Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html
> > might probably have helping hints ... iirc xfs requires you to have teh
> > disk actually mounted for any repair or resize options ...
> >
> > this is really a high level enterprise filesystem, that indeed requires
> > some background knowledge ...
> >
>     I Googled xfs and there is a whole development world out there for
> xfs. Even a bugzilla :-)
>
> They are working on tools for xfs and there are many out there.
>
> The reason to use xfs is that it is slightly faster than ext3 and
> doesn't have the long file system check of ext3. I am totally happy with
> ext3. I am old and not in a hurry.

well, xfs was developed by SGI for supercomputer systems like the cray
(if you are as old as you state you might pobably remember :) )

the acual reasn to use something like xfs is that it is capable of
easily handling files of several terabyte size, that it has enterprise
functionallity like resizing the disk while being used (i.e. you add a
hotswap device to your SAN during the day while its being used and then
can resize the FS on the fly as well while being used by the whole
company), that you can tweak its low level parameters without unmounting
etc ...
... enterprise features as i stated above :)

xfs is usually used with very huge raid arrays so indeed a filesystem
check would pull the company using it out of business for a day...
i.e. if you have a petabyte array that runs an fsck on boot (such a
check can easily take a day at this size depending on teh diskspeed)

the speed difference between ext3 and xfs even if it exists is rarely
the main reason for companies to use xfs :) (it might be for home users
but i doubt you really notice the difference in day to day use on a
speedy desktop or laptop nowadays)

ciao
	oli