Surveillance Camera

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Fri Jul 11 04:53:31 UTC 2008

Hi!

debian wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 16:19 -0400, Keith Clark wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a decent surveillance camera that will work with Linux.
>> I've found a few, some that even run on Linux but the administration
>> software is Windows only!!!
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Keith
>>

> I would trust logitech..however i use the webcam that comes with my
> laptop (chicony electronics? its the one that lsusb told me..lspci didnt
> say anything about my webcam)
>
> For survalence, i use motion, which will take set up a basic localhost
> webserver which will display the images that are being captured from
> your webcam. When you first start motion, it will take a picture, then
> continue taking pictures, comparing it to the one it took first. If
> there is a difference, it will update the picture if you get what i
> mean.
>
> Basically, if someone tries to break in, the program will see that,
> update the webpage that it is hosting so that you can show the cops when
> they come just what the criminal looked like basically.
>
> Motion stores the pictures in /tmp/motion

Ahem... NO. DON'T! If it's a break in, the guy (or girl) is going to
STEAL YOUR COMPUTERS. Storing the images on a local disk won't help.

Do like the Panasonic camera and e-mail them somewhere far away BEFORE
the intruder can stop the network. That's your ONLY chance of catching
him...

Ideally, you want 2 things.

1) E-mail the pictures FAR AWAY (like the Panasonic does)
2) Send instant notification to you on your phone (SMS for example,
which the Panasonic doesn't do by itself)

Gilles.