Hardy as a NTP Server for Lan

chris lostpkts at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:39:19 UTC 2008

I'm having a bit of an issue that I can't seem to find the right answer for.

I have a Hardy 64 bit server that I'm working on configuring.

I have a pretty generic ntp.conf file (see below)   The problem is
that Windows clients give the following error.

"An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with 10.3.7.54.
the time sample was rejected because: The peer's stratum is less than
the host's stratum."

I Googled around for an answer and saw the stuff about putting in the
127.127.0.1 info at the bottom of the ntp.conf file.  But that doesn't
appear to work.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get this server to sync
to us.pool.ntp.org and then allow others to query it for their time?

Thanks

root at chi-webuntu01:~# more /etc/ntp.conf
# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd; see ntp.conf(5) for help

restrict default ignore

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

# Enable this if you want statistics to be logged.
#statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

# You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
server us.pool.ntp.org
server ntp.ubuntu.com

# By default, exchange time with everybody, but don't allow configuration.
restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery

# Local users may interrogate the ntp server more closely.
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1

# Allow local lans to sync
restrict 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 nomodify notrap

#server 127.127.1.0
#fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10