unable to change network settings in any way

Bram Verbeek bram.verbeek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 09:44:15 UTC 2008

I have a non-standard network setting I need to run every startup to
gain network access, I should have something running to start it at
login, but I didn't make it yet, so I need the
/system/administrator/network to change dns settings and workgroup

I cannot change my network settings in either terminal or the gui. In
my gui I start the /system/administrator/network but it only appears
for a short while, stating "starting network" but disappearing after
that, without an error message. I tried to gedit the .conf in
terminal, but it sais I have no right to, even when logged in as root,
or sudo-ing it. I tried making a new user to see if the
system/administrator/network would work there, but it does not appear
in that user.

What I did to do this:
I moved my /home/username to a removable drive, and moved all files
back that were not the music and film collection (after I found out it
did not create new usersettings) and I did select all hidden files as
well.

This made the system state it was ignoring the .dmrc file, so I fixed
that with help from the forum.

I tried to start users/groups to edit rights, but this disappeared in
the same way the network window did.

I also tried running the bootcd, but that didn't work either, so for
some reason it won't reinstall.

Thank you for your help

Bram