Really slow install

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Jul 10 00:36:46 UTC 2008

Sam Currie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just finished building a new ripper machine and I can't get 8.04.1 to
> install.  The installer is really slow, I mean so slow it takes about 5 mins
> before the Ubuntu loading splash screen displays.  The splash screen is so
> slow you can actually see the screen draw the status bar that moves back and
> forth!
>
> I have tried both the normal desktop CD and the alternative and both have
> the same issue.  I found a mention of booting the Live CD (Which took nearly
> 2 hours) and creating a swap partition.  But this did not fix the installer
> for me.
>
> I have also run the CD test for the two disks I have and both passed.
>
> I have tried loading BIOS safe defaults, but to no avail.
>
> I tried install Windows XP and that installer worked properly.
>
> Hardware spec is:
> Intel E8400 CPU
> MSI G31M3 motherboard
> Kingston Value RAM 2 x 2048 MB chips
> Seagate Baracude ES 500 GB SATA drive
> Sony DVD SATA drive

> Thank you,
>
> -Sam

Are you installing the 32-bit version of Ubuntu?  I know it should work,
but I've seen a few reports on this list of people having trouble
installing hardy with a 32-bit kernel on 64-bit machines, so try the
64-bit Ubuntu to see if that resolves your issue.

Next on my list would be to try the alt-install cd and see if you can
install with the classic Text installer instead of the GUI boot, if the
issues are with the video chip/driver.