Install Help

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 9 18:40:38 UTC 2008

> Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> schrieb:
>
> Fazil.Saiyed at anixter.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I plan on using Ubantu on 64 AMD Dell machine, can you tell me what if any
>> will happen to my Boot menu for Windows Vista and the partition ? Are
>> there any install instructions ?
>> Thanks
>>
>    Well it depends how you plan to do things. I assume your Vista has
> 100% of the hard drive right now. How big is your hard drive? Before you
> install Ubuntu defrag the windows. If you destroy any windows it will
> stop working. Most people have zero problems with loading from a LiveCD.
>
> Karl

Karl is right, but you should use Vista's built-in partition
shrinking. The only people who _really_ know about NTFS are up at
Redmond, and have finally provided a tool (the first AFAIK since DOS
1.0 :P) to shrink partitions.

Go into Computer Management (right click My Computer, Manage), and go
to Disk Management. Then right-click on the partition to shrink, and
then say how much.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1593/vista_shrink_partition