The best Server

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Wed Jul 9 18:07:48 UTC 2008

Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> writes:

> Other distros use more run levels than Ubuntu, typically 1 through 5. I
> cannot remember at which level networking gets turned on by default.
>
> Ubuntu only uses 1 and 2.

I'm pretty sure most other (redhat based) distros use runlevel 2-5.  I
seem to remember that 0, 1 and 6 is pretty standard across the distros
(at least, debian and redhat based).

The only difference between debian and redhat based, is that redhat
based have predefined meaning for the runlevels 2-5, while debian leave
it to the administrator (although Ubuntu makes it more difficult to
start in a different runlevel than the default than Debian)

--
John L. Fjellstad