apt-get system reinstallation

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jul 9 17:50:51 UTC 2008

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.07.2008, 09:06 -0400 schrieb Bart Silverstrim:
>> I have 2 Ubuntu 8.04 systems, one where youtube videos crash Firefox
>> constantly (flash problem?) and the other doesn't seem have trouble
>> playing flash videos. So while the latest Firefox and flash plugins from
>> the repos may have troubles, it may be a combination problem of some
>> kind on the one that is causing issues?
> as i pointed out in a different thread before:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/192888
> there is nothing you can do but try out the different fixes from the
> bug ... sadly there is no unified fix that works for everyone which
> makes the bug so tricky ... reinstalling packages will neither fix
> flash, nor libflashsupport, nor their communication problem. the
> binaries wont change if you install them again...

No, I understand that part (I looked at the bug report you had posted
and said in a followup that, sadly, it looked like the "fix" was to wait
for the upstream to correct bugs). What I have are two systems, updated,
running 8.04, where one crashes consistently and the other does not.
Something is triggering the bug and I wondered if it was something with
the state of the installation or if it's one system has XYZ while the
other has XY only, and Z in conjunction with the others is causing the
crashing.

So I wondered about whether the reinstall/repo verification would show a
possible error triggering the behavior, that's all.