Get rid of old Gnome Desktop Settings?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 9 15:27:37 UTC 2008

On 07/09/2008 08:03 AM, Tim Tipton wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I recently screwed up my gnome settings, I don’t know exactly how I did it –
> but the only thing that will come up when I boot into a gnome session is the
> background wall paper – no right clicking, no panels, no icons… alt-f2 doesn’t
> do anything either… So I logged out and log in with either xfce or kde and
> everything works there like it should… that was on gutsy…
>
> Last night, I found a fix for the networking problem that my nvidia Ethernet
> interface card has with Hardy, so I took the plunge and updated, but (I’m
> assuming since I have /home on a separate partition) the same thing happens
> when I log into hardy – all I get is the old background wallpaper I had in
> gutsy and nothing else – my question is, is there a way to delete
> the .gnome .gnome2 or anything else that will basically reset my gnome desktop
> environment to factory in Hardy?  I was thinkgin I could backup all my /home
> and then just create a new user overwriting the /home partition and starting
> fresh – but that’s about 200 gig of stuff and I am hoping there’s an easier
> way.
>
> Thank you for any and all help you can provide!
> Tim

Yes:
<http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2007/02/14/how-to-reset-ubuntugnome-settings-to-defaults-without-re-installing/>

But also read all the comments... & backup your evolution settings if
you use evo. I've also found that it is better to rename vs remove the
suggested folders; just change .gnome to x-.gnome-x etc. (mv .gnome
x-.gnome-x) That way if you do need to go back and get something from
the folder it will be there.