Network access

John French cjf at tow.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 14:45:50 UTC 2008

> David Curtis wrote:
>> I have been setting up a home file, print and e-mail server on 8.04
>> Server (64 bit (AMD)), and I would appreciate help with a couple of
>> questions.
>>
>> 1. I believe I have Samba, Postfix and Dovecot configured about right,
>> but I am getting persistent refusals when I try to connect from Windows
>> machines. I get "Enter Network password", but when I enter my user name
>> and password (which are the same for Linux and Windows), I get
>> "Incorrect password or unknown username". I have tried deleting my user
>> id on th server, and re-entering it, using my wife's id, and so forth,
>> without success. Can it have to do with /etc/network/interfaces ?  I
>> have tried, as far as possible, not to disturb the defaults, but I have
>> set a static IP address, and have put that into /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> No, the error message has nothing to do with /etc/network/interfaces. If
> you are recieving the error message then I would assume that your
> network is up and running as related to ethernet/TCP/IP and Samba. If
> they were not then you would recieve a different error to the effect
> that the network was not up, or a connection refused error. The password
> error indicates a setup problem.
>
> One of the most common oversights with setting up samba is not assigning
> a smb password. Smb passwords are separate from account passwords,
> although the can be, for simplicity's sake, the same. To add a smb
> password for your user:
>
> $sudo smbpasswd -a (user)
>
> this will not change the account password.
>

>> 2. I have wondered if Postfix is a bit OTT. A knowledgeable contributor
>> to the list has recommended masqmail, but it seems to be currently
>> unsupported. Any advice ?
>>
>> John French

Thanks, that has fixed file and printer access. But I am still
floundering around with accessing e-mails.

Fetchmail, Postfix and Dovecot seem fine, and I can see my test messages
showing up in my Maildir. I have set up an IMAP account in Thunderbird
on a Windows system, but when I try to subscribe to the folder on the
server, I get "Connection to J205.tow.org.uk timed out".

Advice appreciated - perhaps best of all, a pointer to a good book or HOWTO.

John French