Moving open files

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 9 00:59:06 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/7/8 Kim Goldenberg <kgoldenberg at oit.state.nj.us>:
>> People seem to forget that having a computer is just like having a staff of
>> people to do you bidding for you. Thirty years ago you would have a real,
>> live secretary or office manager doing the same things you now have your
>> computer do. Sometimes they would protect you from such things as happened
>> to the file, other times, not.
>>

> No matter how much you insist upon the secretary analogy the fact is
> that the user sees himself as the only entity in the office.

I think you need to open your mind a bit and think in the abstract.  I
thought you had admitted that analogies are not literal.  Your user needs to
open his mind as well.

While there is only one human being in the office...there is a computer with
multiple processes doing his bidding and he needs to understand on a basic
level how they inter-operate.

The analogy being the processes in the computer are just like a secretary.
You tell the secretary what to do and you *expect* it to be done to your
wishes.  But the "secretary" has a mind of his own and stubborn to boot.  No
matter how much you wish the "secretary" will do as you *expect*, he won't.

Besides, the "problem" you've described is not confined to OO.  It is just
the way things are in Linux.  The sooner your user can accept that the
sooner they will be happy.  If they can't deal with it, switch to Windows.
It may solve one problem....but others will replace it.