The best Server

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jul 9 00:20:57 UTC 2008

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>>     The basic conversion takes place in a terminal window. There type $
>> sudo init 1 and when you give your password the computer drops to a
>> Server mode.
>>

> Nonsense. (tel)init 1 brings the system down into single user mode, not
> "server mode" (whatever that is supposed to be). This is definitely not
> a way to run a server.
>
> If you don't want X running - stop it.
>
> If you want a server - use an Ubuntu server distribution. Which, by
> default, installs a different set of applications than the desktop
> version does. Among them a kernel which is configured slightly different
> than the -generic kernel the desktop version installs by default.

    That is not the case. The kernel with a number that comes with the
server is identical to the one used by the desktop. The difference is
the number of things used by the kernel. In a server you may have less
called. But you can do this with the desktop if you find it helps.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User