Installing fonts

Chris Mohler cr33dog at
Mon Jul 7 20:29:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Rick <rufus at> wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Rick wrote:
>>> In earlier releases of Ubuntu, I had no trouble dropping fonts into a
>>> folder / directory and making the system recognize the change. In
>>> Kubuntu 8.04 there is a lovely interface for performing this function.
>>> Ubuntu 8.04 seems to have changed the rules of the game. The last time
>>> I checked, information sources do not explain the new rules. I have
>>> already added the
>>> sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts and
>>> sudo fc-cache -f -v.
>>> Just what must I do to add a bunch of fonts to the fonts repository on
>>> Ubuntu?
>> Maybe you can find an answer here: <>.
>> Nils
> Thanks for sharing the link. I think, however that most of that is
> already in my notes. The earlier problem from that or a similar source
> was that it said specifically that the information was for 7.04. I
> didn't see any distro identification in your referenced text, however.
> I'll follow those already familiar instructions asap.
> In the meantime, it may be worth noting, that this is one of the
> stumbling blocks to the spread of Linux. Adding fonts in Windows is
> easy. Even adding fonts in Kubuntu is a delight. The GNOME coders need
> to make a smooth interface for adding fonts in Ubuntu.
> Yes, I know. If I want a special application, I should write it myself.
> Up until now, I've had neither the time nor the requisite skills, but I
> suppose I could learn.

There are a few programs floating around for font management.
Fontypython (in the repos) manages symlinks from your font files into
~/.fonts, allowing you to turn on/off collections (called pogs)
quickly.  There's another manager named gnome-specimen and a similar
one for KDE, but the name escapes me.

OTOH, If you aren't using hundreds (or thousands) of fonts, just copy
them into ~/.fonts and your apps should pick them up.