Looking for a Picture Management Program#

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 6 23:39:23 UTC 2008

On 07/06/2008 02:25 PM, Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 03:49:03PM +0200, John L Fjellstad wrote:
>> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> writes:
>>
>> > I know digikam has other 'views' (by date and by collection) but using
>> > these you lose all of the album names.  I want to be able to name my
>> > albums with meaningful names (e.g. "Spain, holiday") but keep them in
>> > chronological order.  This seems such an obvious thng to want to do
>> > that it amazes me that there isn't an image management program out
>> > there that can do it.
>>
>> Have you tried tagging the pictures?  WhenI look at my tags in digiKam,
>> I get it by tag, and sub view by album name and date.
>>
> I do use tagging in digikam but I don't see how it helps much in
> getting what I want as described above.
>
> Are you suggesting that I tag images with their date or what exactly?
>
> For example if I want to see pictures/images for, say, October 1987
> how would I tag them so that I see that in October 1987 I have images for:-
>
>     The horses in the orchard
>     Holiday in Venice
>     Maxine for publicity
>
> ?

You might want to have a look at Google's Picasa; you can sort by name,
date, or size. You can also drag & drop photos from one folder to
another etc.

http://picasa.google.com/
  http://picasa.google.com/features/index.html
    http://picasa.google.com/linux/

Note: picasa installs it's own wine backend & some have reported better
luck with running the windows version via wine directly.