Homemade laptop lojack: ping website early in boot process

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 23:00:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 4:29 PM, James Gray <james at gray.net.au> wrote:
> On 07/07/2008, at 7:16 AM, James Gray wrote:
>> On 07/07/2008, at 5:08 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to have my laptop try to ping a website that I control as
>>> early in the boot process as possible, preferably as soon as the wifi
>>> is enabled. How is this done? Thanks.
>>
>> How about, as soon as the interface is up...soon enough? ;)

Hi James/Dotan,

Don't mean to hijack, but I stuck a small script in
/etc/network/if-up.d/, yet it does not seem to be executed.  The file
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/01ifupdown seems to be executing
scripts in /etc/network/if-up.d/ when NM ups/down an interface, the
script has proper permissions, and is very simple:

#! /bin/sh
wget http://<hostname> || true

Thoughts?  I'll need to come up with something better that supersedes
NM, but I thought it would be a good place to start, and I can't seem
to figure out what's going wrong...

Thanks,
Chris