Accessing NTFS drives on other computers over my LAN

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Sat Jul 5 22:57:20 UTC 2008

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> Specifically I have a Win2K server.  It's the FTP server that is
>> used by Systems Theory for sharing files as we work on
>> compositions.  It's accessible from any Win2K / WinXP PC we
>> connect to it, with the shared drive having read/write privileges
>> enabled for all users.  But when I try to access it via Nautilus
>> from my Ubuntu box all I see is the icon for it (and the other
>> mix of *nix and WinXP machines in my house).
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64.  I use Gnome for the desktop. What
>>  is it that I need to setup on my machine in order to connect and
>>  then display the files on the shared drive?
>
> Nevermind.... I'm browsing my wife's WinXP laptop, that I see as a
> Samba connection, so something must be setup wrong on the Win2K
> box. Back to square one...

Following up one more time. I can access the shared folders on any of
my LAN's Win2K and WinXP boxes if I enter the desired link in the
Nautilus browser location bar.

i.e smb://dmz/d$/
or smb://jedi/games/

Which I then bookmark. Not very satisfactory since I wanted to get to
these through the "network servers" link in Nautilus, but it's an OK
workaround for now.
NP: Hawkwind "Hall of the mountain grill"