su command question

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jul 5 18:09:05 UTC 2008

Robert Dailey wrote:
> That's excellent, I didn't know that rc.local is run by root. That
> solves starting the server at boot time, however what if I want to
> issue the Ventrilo server start/stop commands without being prompted?
> Is this when I use "sudo su" together?

No, "sudo su" is used to get a root shell, i.e. instead of a login as
root. What you want is "sudo /etc/init.d/<serverinitscript> start" or
similar, but you would still need your password. That's where you could
use the advice from this thread about using /etc/sudoers to avoid
entering a password.

Nils