Sound problem: L/R channel lock lost while adjusting volume slider ...

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Jul 5 16:23:29 UTC 2008

Hi list,

I am having an annoying problem when I use the volume control panel
(Hardy) : when I use the mouse to adjust the (PCM channel) volume,
while moving the slider, the lock between the let and right channel all
of a sudden gets unlocked ! So I have to click on the lock icon to put
them back into sync, then adjust again the volume, annoying ! :-(

It happens really randomly as far as I can see: sometimes it will lose
the lock several times per volume adjustment manoeuver so to speak..;
and sometimes it will not lose the lock even if I play with the slider
for 2 minutes to try to provoke it.

Anyone experienced this problem, ideas on what might be the problem ?

I never had this problem on my old motherboard (built-in AC97 sound
chip), but a month or two ago, to celebrate Hardy (and renew a 6 year
old machine that was on its last leg), I switch to an Intel P35 chipset
based motherboard, thinking "yeah, Intel stuff, everything will work
out of the box and flawlessly"... NOT ! :-/

To make things confusing, eventhough the sound chip is built-in the
Intel P35 chipset, Ubuntu actually reports TWO sound devices: the Intel
HDA one, AND a RealTek ALC888 chip ! So, Intel or Realtek ?! :-/

I have two major other problems with this chip, and searching the web
only showed that they were known problem and that basically... don't
expect them to be fixed, jsut live with them, great.

This problem of losing the L/R lock while adjusting the volume is the
smalled of the 3 problems I have with this "Intel" (Realtek ??) chip,
but if I could solve it, it would be great, like "at lest I solved SOME
of it, it's not a 100% defeat !"

Sorry for the rant, had to vent a little.. I am a little mad at
spending money on an Intel motherboard to suport a supposedly Linux
"friendly" company, just to see it brings lots more trouble than I had
with my 6 year old Nvidia nForce chipset&sound. I am now not so
convinced that Intel hardware is better supported than other
manufacturers, I won't make this mistake for my next motherboard  :o(((

--
Vince, need to put his head in the freezer to cool down a bit...