Writer Vs Word

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 08:00:10 UTC 2008

2008/7/5, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>:

> On 07/04/2008 12:34 PM, Carmelo Ricardo wrote:
> > Hi everyone!!!!
> >

> >    I am a Ubuntu user and my question is:
> >
> >             Is there a way to use in Linux Ubunt the Openoffice Writer
> with
> > Microsoft Word fonts in it???I mean like Arial, Times New  Roman and so
> > on....???
> >

> >     Thanks in advice!!!
> >

> From a terminal (Applications|Accessories|Terminal):
>
> sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
> sudo fc-cache -f -v
>
> This might also help if you have additional questions:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Font-FAQ
>
> To find/add other fonts in Ubuntu you can open the Synaptic package
> manager and search on fonts, or Arial etc.

I just wanted to add that some fonts are missing in msttcorefonts, such as
Arial Narrow. However, you can make it look a lot like Arial Narrow by just
making Arial a bit narrower.

Also, you can install FontForge and edit existing fonts and even create your
own. Very useable if you, like me for example, have a non English main
language, such as Swedish, German or whatever and you download a font that
lacks characters like åäöÅÄÖüÜ etc. Just copy aeou to these places and add
dots and stuff to them. Okay, that will require some work, but if the font
is nice it could be worth it…

If you have a Windows license you can just copy the .ttf files you want to
the proper folder in Ubuntu, and you will automagically have those fonts (I
am not sure about what the laws says about this, however, so I didn't do
this, but it might depend on what kind of WIndows license you have or
something like that).

Johnny Rosenberg