cant log in at all

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 4 22:14:12 UTC 2008

On 07/04/2008 12:27 PM, Donny George wrote:

>> > but thank you so much noop. thank you so so much.
>> >
>> > wish a very great day
>> >
>> > donny
>> >

>> It's magic :-) To be quite honest I've no clue to exactly what fixed
>> it... xfix reconfgures your xorg.conf files using the new automagic xorg
>> configuration packages included in Hardy (one I've yet to fully figure
>> out).
>>
>> ubuntu-restricted-extras pulls in the msttcorefonts and ttf-opensymbol
>> pulls in the true type fonts for OpenOffice, so I figured that between
>> the two you might resolve the ttf-opensymbol font problem. fc-cache -fv
>> regenerates all of your font cache files, so I asked you to do this to
>> clean up any font cache files that may have been screwed up from your
>> intial install failures. The 'f' option regenerates cache files, even if
>> they seem to be up to date, and the 'v' option just gives you a verbose
>> output so you can see what is going on. Information on fc-cache is here:
>> http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/cmd.csp?path=f/fc-cache
>> You can also see the options by entering (from a terminal)
>>
>> fc-cache --help
>>
>> Now that you have your desktop back, I would recommend going back and
>> cleaning up:
>>
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get upgrade
>> sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
>> sudo apt-get install -f
>> [note: if you get errors, clean up the errors and repeat the command
>> until you no longer get errors]
>> sudo apt-get install --reinstall ttf-opensymbol
>> sudo fc-cache -fv
>>

> hey noop
>
> are u sure u want me to clean it up
>
> i am so happy with the desktop being back and scared to even touch it :)

I'd wait until monday :-). But, yes you really should just to be sure
and none of the above will hurt anything. These you can do today:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install -f

If you get errors on 'install -f' and don't want to mess with them this
weekend, cut and paste the output to the text editor and save the file
so you will know what they were on Monday.  In fact, whenever you do
stuff like this, I alway find it convenient to just open the text editor
(leave it open while doing the commands) and copy & paste the terminal
output into a file. That way I have a record of what was done and can go
back later and review if necessary - even days later.