Install Hardy on a HEADLESS (no video, keyboard or mouse) system - ideas and/or hints

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 4 21:03:30 UTC 2008

Folks,

I have one last system to move to Ubuntu. My firewall which is currently
running Red Hat 7.3 (Valhalla).

The system is a plain vanilla Dell Optiplex G1. As I said it is
headless, I do have physical access to the system so I could add the
devices for the install but it would not be convenient... is there any
way of doing the install without these devices?

I have a bootable  8.04 LTS Desktop CD that I downloaded and burned. I
have tested that it does boot. I know that I should install Firestarter,
as well as, the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS software to create the actual firewall.

The system has dual network interface cards. One for the Internet
connection(DHCP) and one for my local area net.

Once I have successfully completed this activity I will no longer have
any other distribution of Linux. I eliminated the Redmond stuff years ago.

I have reviewed the docs and it does not appear that it can be done
without putting it's head back on, at least for the install. If I must
put a head on it for the install; after the install is complete I will
once again remove it's head!

Ideas and/or suggestions appreciated very much.

Cheers,
Jay

--

Jay Ridgley