Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu ... just one!

Phil Sexton philsexton at skybest.com
Fri Jul 4 16:04:42 UTC 2008

Rick wrote:

> It's all over. I'm writing this from Windows, because I can no longer
> get into Ubuntu. I removed the KDM and made sure GDM was still intact,
> but something still wanted a Kubuntu startup. Some data I saved; some is
> lost inside Ubuntu, but when I pass GRUB there's only chaos. Too bad.
> I'd just bought the Turbo driver for my printer, which Ubuntu doesn't
> support. Now I have to decide whether to dry my tears from the 8.04
> installation disk and try again, or wait six months for the next
> release. I do want to free myself from MS, but doesn't it seem just a
> little ridiculous to require so much fiddling just to achieve minimum
> functionality? Especially when I can already do everything on Windows. I
> do have things to do with the computer. I was hoping to do them (or some
> of them) in Linux, but when I look back on the hours, days and weeks
> spent just setting up the system, I feel foolish. TTFN!

It is funny/odd the different experiences people have.  I can
install and configure/tweak most Linux distros quickly and easily
with help from the distro sites and Google, while I struggle with
Windows.

For Ubuntu, I install the basic system with my Ubuntu 8.04
installation disk, upgrade and then follow the tweaks suggested by
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683>, and then I add
apps as needed using Synaptic and I have very few problems.  The
download times take up the greatest amount of my time in setting up
the OS and installing apps, so I usually start these just before
going to bed.

With Windows, I cannot have sound (Sound card is Creative Labs SB
Audigy FireWire Port) on this particular box as the driver disk
won't work and neither will any downloadable driver I have found.  I
cannot find any usable help sites for Windows as I can easily find
for Linux.

I can already do everything I need to do in Linux and I also do have
things to do with the computer. I used to hope to do them (or some
of them) in Windows, but when I look back on the hours, days and
weeks spent just setting up the system, I feel foolish.  I
essentially abandoned Windows in 1999 although I have run Windows
3.1 through XP occasionally, but with my frustration with that buggy
and expensive OS, I quickly boot back to Linux.

Keep trying and someday Linux will be a breeze for you.  I have
heard the learning curve is steep, but I find it is much less than
the Windows learning curve.